Wednesday

FIFTY-ONE : LENTIL SOUP WITH SMOKED BACON

OCTOBER 12 2011

This lentil soup is exactly how I would have made lentil soup on my own, only way more boring. It starts by sauteing a standard mix of celery, carrot, onion and garlic, plus a slice of bacon to add smokey, porky flavor.

soup ingredients, waiting for the pot

The veggie mix is cooked until softened and browned. Always love to see a nice layer of fond on the bottom of the pot!




At this point, I would have deglazed the pan with some white wine or sherry... but not today. In goes the soaked lentils, veggie broth (which I did make fresh) and a bay leaf. Then, it all simmers on low for 45 minutes until the lentils are "tender but not mushy". I think I had the heat too low cause this took me an extra 15 minutes to achieve, but in the end the lentils were perfect.

lentil soup

Final soup was nice. Simple and brothy. Personally, I love lentil soup with a little heat or a nice acid finish, but I still enjoyed my bowl. When I have leftovers, though, I will be sprucing it up a bit. The bacon, as expected, was delicious!!

yumm... bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics