Tuesday

FOUR : ASPARAGUS

JUNE 14 2011

It's asparagus season! I love, love, love asparagus. So I'm making myself a little snack :) This is one of the super simple recipes; blanch and eat. But, it's telling me to peel the ends of the asparagus. Argh! Normally I would totally skip this step (can't make that much of a difference, right?) but I can't today or I would be breaking the rule.


Okay, asparagus ends are peeled and the well-salted water is boiling. In go the asparagus for 2 minutes then immediately into an ice bath (another step I often skip). Arrange cooled spears on the serving platter, drizzle liberally with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Done. Yum.

I wouldn't mind a splash of balsamic or lemon juice and will probably add that in the future, but these are some very nice asparagus.

It turns out that peeling the ends is totally worth it! So tender yet crisp at the same time. And somehow they end up much brighter and greener. I can see one spot that didn't get peeled (oops) and it's gone kinda brown-green, but the peeled parts are vibrant! It's a revelation!

Hmm... maybe I should peel the stems of the broccoli rabe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics