Wednesday

SIX : WARM GLASS NOODLES & EDAMAME

PLENTY
JUNE 27 2012

SIX : WARM GLASS NOODLES & EDAMAME

I came thiiiiis close to swapping the edamame in this dish for some of the fresh snow peas that are popping in the garden. But, as said edamame had already been acquired and was waiting in the crisper, I stuck to my guns and followed the recipe. Plus, I appear to have the wrong type of noodles (nooooo!) so am already in danger of completely messing up this salad. But, onwards and upwards!





First step is to soak my mung bean noodles (not cellophane) in hot water to soften. Then whisk together a lively dressing with lots of ginger and lime. The dressing joins a chopped garlic clove softening in a saute pan to warm and then in go the hydrated noodles to soak up all that loveliness.




Now just stir in the edamame, sliced green onion, minced red chile, cilantro, mint and sesame seeds and dinner is ready. So easy! I think I just found my new favorite hot-day dinner. And it's fantastic! So flavorful and limey and bright. The mung noodles work just fine and have soaked up loads of tangy flavor. Loving the subtle edamame and bursts of mint, we devour the whole pan. A real winner!





But there is one last treat in store for us tonight. Inspired by an imported British cooking magazine, I felt like channelling Delia once again and whipped up a huge, pillowy pavlova. Unknowingly, I have tapped into dear hubby's favorite dessert and brought back memories of childhood celebrations.

This is a first for me; I've never whipped egg whites with sugar until they scream for mercy and turn into a thick, shiny glob of gluey clouds. Now to gently bake for 2.5 hours until dried and hollow. Hope this works!


pavlova going into the oven


Apparently everything looks perfect! Topped with whipped cream and fresh-picked strawberries and blueberries, it is a sight to behold. And, yes, that is 1/3 of the whole pavlova he is about to devour :)



yarm! i will eat you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics