Thursday

FIVE : GREEN BEAN SALAD WITH A SURPISE TWIST

PLENTY
JUNE 14 2012

FIVE : GREEN BEAN SALAD WITH MUSTARD SEED AND TARRAGON

Three beans combine to perfection in this fresh, crunchy salad. My contribution tonight comes in the form of the plump, just-picked snap peas. Pea harvest is winding down as the days heat up so I'm trying to take full advantage of every last delicious pod.




This salad is a snap to throw together. Trimming and blanching the peas proves to be the most time consuming chore and even that goes pretty quick. Each pea gets it's own spa treatment before being all tossed with an aromatic oil swimming with just-popped whole spices. A little red onion, fresh garlic, lemon zest, tarragon and chopped swiss chard round it out.


Again, things seem a little fierce from the garlic, so I'll let it sit while I focus on the grill. That's right... it's summer so everyday features the grill! Tonight we're having steak... yesss!






The first few bites are nice but not too exciting. Really great crisp texture and freshness from all the beans. But it lacks acid and is a little too oily. I work through another couple chomps when suddenly my tooth crunches open a lingering spice nugget and, wham, the salad pops into 3D and just about blows my mind. Everything comes alive and the balance snaps to perfection. I spend the rest of my plateful on the edge of my seat, waiting for that rush of flavor that takes this salad from pretty good to hot damn!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics