Wednesday

EIGHTY-SIX : FRANKIES FRENCH TOAST

JANUARY 4 2012

Usually when I make french toast (which I don't ever do because I don't like it that much) I just whisk a couple eggs with some milk, dip in the bread and fry in butter, side 1 then side 2. This is a whole new ball game. First the mixture of eggs, cream and whole milk is warmed gently until "the vanilla and cinnamon are aromatic". It is now custard and once cooled to room temperature the day-old bread is dredged "for a few seconds on each side - it should absorb some but not get soggy".

Now here's the part that left me saying "what the..." and "for reals?!?" and "what's a fillip?" Gah! Okay... this had better be the best french toast I have ever eaten.


seriously?!?


Custard has been warmed then cooled. Bread dipped, but not until soggy. A pat of butter is crackling in the pan. Time to fry (and flip and flip) this baby!
This definitely requires a helper. For each flip, I dust the bread with sugar and lift it up while my lovely assistant drops in a "fillip" of butter then re-starts the timer. Phew. A pain... but it's working.


who's the homeless guy in my kitchen?


sugared and ready to flip


done!


Once both sides are "covered in a caramel-brown crisp exterior" I pull the toasts from the pan and start another batch. Frankies would like me to eat them with an excess of maple syrup... but I am not a huge syrup fan so I have one sugary, soaked up bite then switch to orange marmalade, which I enjoy more.




Not too shabby! The flipping was a serious hassle, but made for a lovely crunchy outside and a soft, chewy inside. The crust edges are totally caramelized, too. It is sooooo sweet though and a bit much for me. But everyone agrees it tastes amazing. Like dessert for breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. Hi A to Z.. I have been looking for this french toast recipe everywhere! Any way you could send me the complete recipe ingredients/procedure?
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics